How to prepare the famous Mallorquin almond cake right at your holiday villa
This delightful cake is from Majorca where almond trees grow in abundance and it has remained as original Islander heritage, is the result of symbiosis between French cuisine, which brought the art of cooking, and Mallorca, which, with large almond crops, provided the raw material. And so le gâteau d’amandes became “gató d’ametlles”.
Ingredients for the Majorcan Almond Cake
200g ground almonds.
200g caster sugar
5 large eggs
Zest of half a lemon
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon.
This Mallorquin favourite is great to make when the new seasons ground almonds come to market. In the Olivar Market they retail at 9€ a kilo but personally we think it’s worth paying a little extra for the flavour.
1. Preheat oven to 170c
2. Separate the eggs
3. Grease a 25cm cake tin with butter and lightly dust with flour.
4. Beat sugar and egg yolks together until pale and fluffy
5. Carefully, fold cinnamon, lemon zest and almonds into the sugar and eggs mixture.
6. Whisk egg whites until very stiff,
7. With a large metal spoon, stir 2 large spoonful of the egg white into the almond mixture. This will stabilise the mixture and make the next step easier.
8. Then carefully fold the remaining egg whites, ensuring that you don’t knock the air out.
9. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin (up end the bowl and let the mixture carefully drop in – then just get the last bits out with a spatula). This will make sure that you don’t lose the air. Carefully smooth the surface.
10. Bake for 40 minutes.
11. Leave cake in tin to cool before serving and dust with icing sugar.
12. Serve with almond ice cream.
Ingredients for the Almond Ice Cream
250g ground almonds
1 litre of water
300g caster sugar
Zest 1 lemon
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Place all of the ingredients into a saucepan and keep stirring as you bring very slowly to the boil.
2. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
3. Place in an ice cream maker if you have one, until smooth.
4. If not place in a plastic container in the freezer and mix well every hour whilst it freezes to avoid crystallization.
5. Transfer to a plastic container and free
You may be interested in these other articles of Eating Out
Binnisalem Wine Festival, Mallorca
At the end of September every year, the good folk of Binnisalem take the opportunity to celebrate the end of…...See more +
Coca Mallorquina (Easy Mallorcan Pizza)
At this time of year, vegetables in any market of Mallorca are fresh, full of flavour and in great supply.…...See more +
Winemaking in Mallorca
In South Africa (where i'm from) they have a saying, “local is lekker” (lekker meaning tasty, pleasurable or very excellent). …...See more +