Hiking in Mallorca
Mallorca has been a massively popular summer holiday destination for many years now. However, in recent years the island has witnessed a growth in out-of-season tourism, largely due to the increasing popularity for hiking and cycling.
Walkers from all over Europe come to Majorca in the cooler months to enjoy the stunning scenery and relatively easy hiking routes. And lt’s not hard to see why: the warm spring months of March, April and May as well as the autumn months, can be really lovely. Whereas June, July and August can be stiflingly hot making hiking uncomfortable and sometimes even risky.
Out of season the pace of life on Mallorca is far less hectic and much more relaxing. There are less people on holiday – walkers of all levels appreciate this, because instead of tourist buses shunting people up to the island’s beauty spots, hikers have it all to themselves.
Winter can be a good time to come hiking in Mallorca, but please be aware that temperatures can plummet suddenly and there is a lot more rain. Winter snow is also common on the island’s higher mountains.
The most popular area to enjoy hiking in Mallorca is undoubtedly the spectacular Serra de Tramuntana mountains in the north part of the island. Perhaps the most beautiful part of Mallorca, the Serra de Tramuntana mountains offer a range of signposted hiking trails for you to explore. You will also find several hikers’ hostels along the way.
If you are new to hiking in Mallorca it may be a good idea to organize your activities through a specialist company that arranges supervised walking tours. These can usually be found online. When you get more familiar with the island, however, you may wish to plan your own walking routes.
The lovely town of Soller tends to act as the lively central hub of hiking activities in Mallorca. At the tourist office they sell a good selection of maps and walking guides and are pleased to help with any information you may need.
Picturesque mountain ranges, beautiful valleys laden with fruit trees, oak and pine forests, high vantage points affording views of the sea in the distance…the great thing about hiking in Mallorca is that there is something for everyone, regardless of your experience or ability.
Hiking in Mallorca – Ten Top Tips
- Avoid hiking alone. If you have no choice make sure you tell others exactly the route you are taking;
- Ensure you have plenty of appropriate clothing, particularly good walking boots and warm clothing;
- Be aware that in the mountains the weather can change very quickly;
- Always make sure you have enough water with you to avoid dehydration;
- Remember to have a good mobile device on you in case of emergency;
- Bring good hiking guides and maps with you – signposting can be patchy at times;
- Always carry a first aid kit;
- Some areas are privately owned. If a sign says ‘privado’ please respect the owner’s wishes;
- Take all your litter back with you;
- And finally…simply enjoy the stunning beauty the island of Mallorca has to offer!
You may be interested in these other articles of Activities
Cycling in Mallorca
Ever since Sir Bradley Wiggins shot to fame with his Tour de France win and his hoard of Olympic gold…...See more +
Mountain Biking Mallorca: Best Coastal Tracks
Mallorca’s year round climate and fantastic landscape make it the ideal destination for mountain biking enthusiasts. (more…)...See more +
Ballooning in Mallorca
There are many ways to see and explore the beautiful island of Mallorca, but how many can you honestly say…...See more +